Goal 1: To Improve Student Achievement
- Actively engage students in their learning.
- Give all students the support to realize at least a full year of academic growth.
- Build students’ ability to think deeply and critically, to problem solve, and create independently.
- Build students’ volume of and stamina for reading and writing, enabling them to think deeply.
- Focus on the development of the whole child by expanding extra and co-curricular offerings.
- Collaborate with the Cleveland Clinic to staff and operate the new Student Based Health Center.
Areas of Focus:
- Provide continued support for Ohio’s Revised Learning Standards through consistent implementation of all curriculum and curricular initiatives.
- Continue implementation of the Middle and High School RTII framework and revised elementary framework.
- Continue implementation of building-wide Positive Behavior Intervention and Supports.
- Continue to integrate technology within the curriculum, including continued support of a 1:1 computing model at the middle schools and staggered implementation of a 1:1 computing model at Lakewood High School.
- Improve the instructional leadership skills of principals and teachers for their learning communities.
- Develop attendance intervention teams and a clear understanding of new attendance requirements.
Goal 2: To Foster Positive Relationships and a Collaborative Working Environment with all Employees
- Maintain effective communication and solicit regular feedback from all employee groups.
- Enhance the educational environment and opportunities available for teaching and learning.
- Expand the wellness plan for all employees through the Wellness Committee.
- Work within economic realities and the financial forecast to attract and retain quality employees.
Goal 3: To Effectively Manage District Operations
- Continue to populate and implement a long range facilities maintenance program.
- Improve safety record and risk management procedures.
- Execute sale of District property and coordinate relocation of board office staff.
- Implement a lighting retrofit and LED energy savings program for district facilities by December 2017.
Goal 4: To Continue the District Construction Project and Plan for Ongoing Maintenance
- Collaborate with city officials and the community to ensure the safety and security of students, staff, and visitors at the high school construction site.
- Monitor the high school construction schedule to meet the following timelines:
- Plan for the opening of the east side (performing arts, cafeteria, media center, and north parking lot) and renovation of the A and B wing (main office, classrooms, and student based health center) for the start of the 2017-18 school year.
- Complete construction of the gymnasium and east parking lot by November 1, 2017.
- Plan for the opening of the Fitness Center (January 2018).
- Plan an open house for the east side of the building and renovation of the A & B building (August, 2017).
- Work with the OFCC, Ozanne Construction, GPD, AECOM, Brewer-Garrett, and TRA for the preparation of the final construction and financing closeout documents for the three elementary schools and high school.
Goal 5: To Ensure Fiscal Transparency and Stability, and Public Accountability
- Communicate and monitor legislative changes that impact financial and operational resources.
- Explore options for refinancing debt to reduce the overall cost to the community.
- Empower the Financial Advisory Committee to communicate the financial condition of the district to all stakeholders.
- Empower the Insurance Committee to educate all stakeholders on the financial impact of and relationship between benefit structure and cost.
- Engage all stakeholders to determine the level of commitment to the District operations (instructional programming, co-curricular offerings, fine art offerings, athletic offerings, facility and operational needs).
- Monitor student enrollment and staffing levels to maximize the balance between student achievement and cost effectiveness.
- Proactively advocate for public education and the inequities of state and federal funding through engaging the Lakewood Community, professional organizations, neighboring school districts, and all affected stakeholders.
Goal 6: To Build upon the Confidence and Support of the Community
- Focus on highlighting the positive accomplishments of students and staff.
- Communicate effectively to and actively engage all stakeholders about programs and offerings.
- Further develop community and business partnerships to enhance curriculum and opportunities.
- Attract all Lakewood school age children by marketing and branding the district as an educational destination that meets the needs of all students.
- Collaborate with parents, students, staff, and community members to increase participation, seek alternative funding sources, and effectively schedule existing facilities for the Community Recreation and Education Commission programs.
- Plan for increased community use of the new District facilities, including the new fitness center.